How to Stop Eczema Itching Immediately - 5 Remedies for Quick Relief
I won’t sugar coat it — eczema is a b*tch. 😒And let’s be honest, no matter how confident and summertime-fine we may feel, when those pesky flare-ups show up without warning, our self-esteem takes a hit. I get it, bestie, and like you, I’m always on the hunt for quick eczema relief.
I know it can feel like getting eczema under control is impossible. All too often, we let frustration get the best of us, and instead of trying new ways to address the issue, we curse the skin gods, cancel plans, and just try to deal. 😤Been there, and it’s so not okay.
No shame in staying in and indulging in some me-time, but when our eczema itch is so bad it stops us from living? That’s when something’s gotta give.
So how can I clear my eczema and stop letting it get in the way of #LivingMyBestLife? Girl, you know I’ve got you. 😘
First things first!
Why is my eczema itching so bad?
When it comes to figuring out how to stop eczema itching immediately, we tend to forget just how particular eczema-prone skin is. Moisture is good, but not too much moisture. A little heat is great but too much? Oy. Flare-ups yet again. It’s enough to make us go WTF. 🤯
Our sensitive skin’s oh-so particular quirks can make soothing eczema flare-ups nothing short of grueling. Fortunately, understanding what it is and why it happens can make all the difference!
So what exactly is eczema anyway? It’s an inflammatory condition that appears as dry, itchy skin, rashes, or flakey patches and blisters.
What triggers eczema? Let me count the ways…
- Environmental changes
- Dry Skin
- Hormones (pregnancy)
- Scratchy fabrics
- Harsh chemicals
I know, I know, it seems like everything is a trigger. So what gives? Is there an easy, practical way to stop eczema itching immediately? Keep reading, and I’ll answer exactly that, pinky promise!
So, how can I instantly stop itching?
Wait a minute… instantaneous eczema relief is a thing? Yas, queens! When you understand the root of your eczema flare-ups, soothing the itch and calming the skin is so much easier. *cue the harp music*
And guess what? You don’t have to splurge on a ton of expensive products or fancy gadgets to do it, either.
So, how do you calm down eczema fast and soothe that unignorable b*tch—I mean itch?
1) Quench your skin’s thirst.
What is the strongest medicine to stop itching? Hydration! 💦
As soon as you feel the itch creepin’ in, dampen the area and reach for a thick, fragrance-free moisturizer (that you probably already have) like virgin coconut oil or Vaseline. Does Vaseline stop itching? It does that and then some! Vaseline seals moisture into the skin to boost hydration and calm flare-ups.
We don’t just mean boosting moisture on the outside. Upping your water intake also helps you tackle how to stop eczema itching immediately. So grab that cute hydro flask you’ve meant to use more and bottoms up! You might be surprised just how quickly H2O can trigger a skin glow-up. ✨
Speaking of soothing skin from within…
2) Take a skin-supporting supplement.
Much like how drinking water boosts your skin’s hydration from under the surface, incorporating a nourishing, skin-supporting supplement into your daily regimen can help to ease skin woes from beneath the skin.
The S.O.S. Gummies from embody make us itchy babes finally feel seen! Ingredients like MSM, vitamin D, and zinc work together to clarify the skin and boost skin barriers. All while pantothenic acid and evening primrose oil amp up skin’s moisture and help make it feel as soft as a cloud.
Did we mention they’re super delish, too? 🍒😋
3) Ice, cold relief.
Nothing feels better on a painful eczema flare-up than a soft, cold compress — emphasis on soft. Applying ice to the irritated area will probably backfire and turn your eczema itch into an ice burn. Ouch!
Instead, wrap some ice or a frozen gel compress in a soft cloth and apply it to the area till the itch starts subsiding.
How does ice help eczema? By temporarily numbing the skin where your eczema is flaring. Like cryotherapy, the cold helps constrict your blood vessels and reduce internal inflammation — stopping the itch and feeling oh-so-soothing on the skin.
4) DIY Oatmeal Bath.
Racking your brain trying to figure out how to stop eczema itching immediately? Did you know oatmeal may help?
Put down the box of Quaker Oats, bestie — I don’t mean that kind of oatmeal. 😂
I’m talking about colloidal oatmeal. Colloidal oatmeal is ground from oat kernels and blended into a super fine powder dissolved in water. It helps clean and soothe itchy skin. You can buy it or DIY it by finely blending organic, uncooked oats.
If you’re wondering how to stop eczema itching immediately, home remedies like colloidal oatmeal baths can do wonders for speedy eczema relief.
Here’s how to guarantee you get the best results at home:
- Draw a bath with lukewarm water. Is hot water good for eczema? Nope — while it might be relaxing, hot water can strip your skin of natural oils and make it dryer (and, therefore, itchier).
- As the bath fills, sprinkle about a cup or so of colloidal oatmeal under the running water, so it mixes seamlessly.
- Tip-toe on in and soak for about 10-15 minutes.
- After you finish, pat yourself dry and apply a nutrient-rich, fragrance-free moisturizer.
- Revel in that oh-so-sweet relief. 🥰
5) Know what not to do.
Part of knowing how to stop eczema itching immediately is knowing what you should avoid. So what should you not put on eczema, a.k.a avoid like that dude at the Farmer’s Market who tries to impress you by talking about his Instagram following? *yawn*
- Avoid sweating or overheating. Heat stimulates that itchy, prickly feeling that us eczema-prone babes know all too well. Sweating can also draw in bacteria. So skip the hot yoga and opt for a breezy walk instead!
- Ease up on the harsh fragrances and chemicals. All that hand sanitizer is not doing our sensitive skin any favors. 😷My advice? Once the hand sani fully dries, follow up with a hydrating, fragrance-free lotion.
- Resist the urge to scratch. If you’ve ever wondered, “how do you stop eczema from spreading?” consider this your golden rule: Scratching leads to more itching, which just leads to more scratching, and on goes the vicious cycle. You’ve got this!
- Avoid scratchy, synthetic fabrics. If you ever needed an excuse to stock up on silky satin slips and cozy cotton tees, this is it.😉
- Try to destress. I know it’s easier said than done, but reducing your stress will shine through your skin, so don’t forget to prioritize a little R&R. After all, you deserve it!
Less Itching, More Glowing? Yes, please!
So what is the most effective treatment for eczema? I wish we had the universal answer, but the truth is it’s different for everyone! The good news? These remedies can soothe the itch and help you reclaim those feel-good vibes again! 🤩
Eczema may be a b*tch, but she ain’t keeping us down. We’re stoked to be on this tasty skin care journey with you. Learn more about soothing your skin from within with embody!